Perfect for all adults. No experience necessary. Explore the craft of writing for children in a friendly and supportive environment.
An introductory course run by children’s author, Lucy Hope, for those wishing to write for children (perhaps with a dream of one day being published) or for anyone keen to learn more about the craft of writing and the world of children’s literature. Students will take part in writing exercises designed to flex the writing muscles and get the creative juices flowing. During the course we will look at subjects close to all authors’ hearts, such as setting, characterisation, dialogue, point of view, plot, pace and more. As the course progresses we’ll begin to ‘workshop’ (read and critique) each other’s writing in a safe and supportive environment.
This course is designed for those writing for young readers between 8 and 12 years, but we will also touch on writing for younger and older readers too.
Level: Beginner to intermediate.
– Understanding creativity
– Reading like a writer
– Creating authentic dialogue
– Effective world-building and setting as a character
– Understanding point of view and how to use it effectively
– Writing characters that leap off the page and that readers care about
– Developing a knowledge of rhetorical devices and how these can enrich your writing
– Using narrative distance to engage readers
– Understanding the importance of sensory writing
– Plot, action, pace and tips for keeping your reader engaged
– Sharing and critiquing each other’s writing in a positive and supportive environment
Tutor: Lucy Hope
6 weeks from 11 September 2023
11, 18, 25 September 2, 9, 16 October
6 weeks from 30 October 2023
30 October 6, 13, 20, 27 November 4 December
You may also be interested in...
Monkey Music for PREschoolers
Music Classes & Workshops
Based on an exciting and progressive 4-stage curriculum, Monkey Music provides weekly (30 minute) …More Details
Play-in-a-day 11+yrs (1-day)
Music Classes & Workshops, Other
Open to young people (11+yrs) – no experience required. Join us to create a play in just one …More Details
Introduction to Mixed Media (2-day)
Art Classes & Workshops
Open to all adults – beginners and improvers.This focused 2 day course is an introduction to …More Details